Alford Manor House, Lincolnshire:
In 2000, as part of a Heritage Lottery Fund bid, Anderson & Glenn produced restoration proposals for this important early seventeenth-century, composite brick and timber constructed manor house.
The bid for funding was successful but before the schedule of works was prepared, Anderson and Glenn wrote a methodology for an 'opening up contract'. This enabled detailed internal investigations of the building to be carried out to obtain a better understanding of the complicated planning history of the house and its structural condition. During this investigative process, a team from the University of York, provided valuable archaeological input to inform the restoration design process. Timbers, exposed during this work, were examined and accurately dated by the University of Nottingham which indicated that the earliest period of construction of the building was 1611.
Once a clearer understanding of the building had been established, a detailed schedule of works was prepared by Anderson and Glenn. The restoration project was successfully completed in 2006 and the Manor House, which is owned by the Alford Civic Trust, is now open to the public.
Below: Alford Manor, at the start of the restoration work.
Below: Alford Manor after restoration.