Kirton End Mill: Grade II

 

This Tower Mill was built in 1833 and it was powered by wind until 1936, at which time the sails were removed. An oil engine was fitted and it continued to grind until the 1960s.

 

After the Tower was abandoned commercially by the Miller, it gradually became more and more derelict and the machinery was sold for scrap. This was removed in a careless manner and serious damage to the brickwork occurred. The Miller attempted to get a local farmer to demolish the Tower for use as hardcore. Fortunately this was not considered an economical exercise and the Mill was saved.

 

Due to the loss of its machinery, the Tower Mill would have been difficult to restore to original working condition. It was therefore decided that conversion of the building into a home would be the best way to ensure its long term survival. During the design stages of the conversion, care was taken to preserve the integrity of the historic Tower.

 

 

 

A new OG cap was made in traditional materials. The construction consists of an oak frame, covered with two layers of spruce boards. The first laid horizontally and the second, top layer, vertically. The oak finial is surmounted by a cast ball, which weighs 40 KG. This part of the project was partially funded by an historic building grant from Boston Borough Council.

 

 Below: Artist's Impression of the Proposed Extension of the Mill

Showing Arial view from the south. 2007

Below: View from the Entrance Drive before Conversion to a house.

 

 

 

Above: View from the Entrance Drive: 2009

 


© Copyright 1996-2017 - Anderson and Glenn